Return to the Ratropolis website. Like us on Facebook.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Loki Suffers a Stroke

Loki when he was healthy

On Sunday night, we took Loki out for some cuddle time (he is not so active anymore for play time) and he was in bad shape. He was lying on his side and he had completely lost control of his rear legs and tail. His lower half was completely useless to him.

I thought the end must be near and I let him snuggle close with me while we watched Downton Abbey and Sherlock on PBS. I tried to get him to eat something but he would have none of it - not even a lick of yogurt. Eventually, I had to put him back in his cage, because I was on the verge of falling asleep and didn't want to drop him or roll over on him.

I put him back on the upper level of his cage, where he prefers to sleep, with easy access to food and water - lowering the water bottle so he could reach it without standing up. That was a mistake. I went to get him his meds and while I was gone, my son saw him fall down to the lower level. So I moved everything down to the lower level where he couldn't fall. I was sure he was going to pass away during the night. He didn't seem to be in pain, but he was so lifeless, I didn't have much hope. If he was still with us in the morning, I planned to take him in to the vet to be put to sleep.

To my surprise, in the morning, he had managed to get inside his wooden chinchilla hut (an impressive feat, since the opening is a small circle that is raised a bit above the floor). He was sitting upright with his eyes wide open and bright, completely alert and aware. I was quite surprised and left to make him some veggies and oatmeal for breakfast. He hasn't eaten veggies for several days, but I still bring them anyway. When I returned, he had managed to leave the hut and climb back up to the upper level. He regained motion in his legs and tail, although he is terribly uncoordinated.

I offered him the breakfast, and to my surprise, he ate some corn and peas, for the first time in days. He struggles to hold his food, as is typical with pituitary tumors, but he is managing.

It is our belief that he suffered a stroke last night from which he has recovered pretty well. So we have been granted a short reprieve and we will make the most of these final days. 

1 comment: