Return to the Ratropolis website. Like us on Facebook.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Rest in Peace, Loki (January 9, 2012 - January 30, 2014)


Loki passed away yesterday, around 3 pm, at home in my arms. When I woke up in the morning, his body was pretty limp and I don't think he could move around. He ate some peas that I skinned for him, but he didn't have much energy. I could tell the end was near.

I put on a sweatshirt with one of those center pouch pockets and put Loki in the pocket and kept him with me all day. I wanted to be with him when he left us, so he would know he wasn't alone. He did not seem to be in any pain - he just had no ability to move about. I gave him some water from a syringe so he wouldn't be dehydrated, and kept him warm and cozy in my lap all day.

He seemed to pass away peacefully, and I am glad he went this way. I am so relieved I didn't have to bring him in to be put to sleep at the scary vet's office where I couldn't be with him when he passed.

Loki, we will miss you greatly. Farewell, my grumpy old man rat who turned out to have a heart of gold. Play hard over the bridge and be nice to Pirate.









No comments:

Post a Comment