Return to the Ratropolis website. Like us on Facebook.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Adding A New Rotary Cutter Mat


I have blogged before about the benefits of using a rotary cutter set to cut fabric for hammocks. Today, I was in JoAnn's and they had 40% off Fiskars cutting supplies, including their rotary cutting mats. I also had a 15% off my entire purchase coupon. So I succumbed to the impulse buy and bought myself a new rotary cutting mat. This one is larger than my old one - it is 24" x 36".

For most hammocks, the standard 18" x 24" is plenty big. But there are a few projects, including Critter Nation furniture pad cage liners (top and bottom level) and the pocket hammock that require cutting pieces that are longer than the mat. This mat is large enough that I can cut fabric for those two projects without having to move the mat or fabric during the cutting process. I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally run the rotary cutter off the mat because I wasn't paying attention - hopefully that accident will be a thing of the past.

Rotary cutters are by no means a necessity, but they sure do make things easier. This larger mat is a luxury item, but since I have been working to make new liners in a variety of colors, it will get a lot of use for a while. It is large and unwieldy, so it will probably only come out for those projects that need it, but I think it will come in handy when it does come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment